History of Mathematics & Teaching of Mathematics
First Announcement and Call for Papers
History of Mathematics
and Teaching of Mathematics
Cluj-Napoca, Kolozsvár, Klausenburg
Mathematics - a common language for Europe for a thousand years.
2014. May 21-25.
The aim of the conference is to present aspects of the History of Mathematics, including its impact on the Teaching of Mathematics, to provide a forum to meet each other, and to give an opportunity for young researchers to present their results on the history of mathematics. We invite our colleagues, students, graduate students and other researchers to take part in the meeting.
The meeting will be hosted by the Babes-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca (Kolozsvár, Klausenburg), the city where the famous mathematician János Bolyai was born, and many other well-known mathematicians worked like Ludwig Schlesinger, Gyula Vályi, Lipót Fejér, Frigyes Riesz, Alfred Haár, Gheorghe Cӑlugӑreanu, Gheorghe Pic.
The scientific programme of the conference will be scheduled on 22nd, 23rd and 24th May 2014.
- School of Mathematics of the University of St Andrews,
- Department of Analysis of the University of Miskolc,
- Department of Mathematics, Teacher Training College of the Eötvös University Budapest,
- Institute of Mathematics, and Institute of Informatics of the University of Debrecen,
- János Bolyai Mathematical Society, Hungary,
- Romanian Mathematical Society,
- Junior Mathematical Society Miskolc.
Chairman: Edmund F. Robertson (efr(at)st-and.ac.uk)
Local Organizing and Scientific Committee
- Anna Soós, Babes-Bolyai University
- Judit Robu, Babes-Bolyai University
- Adrian Petrusel, Babes-Bolyai University
- Kása Zoltán, Babes-Bolyai University
- Ferenc Szenkovits, Babes-Bolyai University
- Doru Stefănescu, University of Bucharest
- First vicepresident of the Romanian Mathematical Society
- Mircea Trifu, Romanian Mathematical Society
The programme of the conference is planned to include talks and
The organizers are pleased to announce the names of the invited speakers (to be completed):
- Edmund ROBERTSON,
- John O’CONNOR,
- András PRÉKOPA
- Ioan A. RUS
- Ferenc SZENKOVITS
- Katalin MUNKÁCSY.
- Doru STEFÁNESCU
Each participant will be given the possibility of presenting his/her contribution as a short (15-20 minutes) talk or a poster. Refereed papers will be published in the conference volume.
Call for papers
- Authors are invited to submit an abstract to the Organisers
- The abstract must be written in English.
- Begin a new line for each author: author’s full name
(SURNAME in capital letters) followed by affiliation, city,
country, and e-mail address.
- Begin text on a new line.
- The length of the text should be between 100 and 350 words.
- Please use the Easy Chair Conference System (https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hmtm2014), beside
the on-line registration form for sending the abstract.
Deadline for submission extended to: 20 March 2014
Notification of acceptance: 31 March, 2014
(for early registrations within 10 days)
The Local Organizing Committee is creating a mirroring of the present page, with actual data, we kindly ask our participants to upload their abtracts and full papers using that page too!!!
Please use our preliminary on-line registration form available on the conference web page, where you can fill in the date of your arrival and departure, your option for accommodation. Once the local web page will be functionning, we will transfer them the informations, and move the registration to the direct page
Alternatively please register by e-mail, sending a message to Péter Körtesi (matkp(at)uni-miskolc.hu) or any member of the organizing committee. Please do the same if submitting your abstract after registering or to communicating any other problem.
Abstracts and full papers are expected to be submitted via the already existing Easy Chair Conference System page (https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hmtm2014), at the event HMTM-2014
Early registration (Before 31st March, 2014) 120 EUR
Later and on spot registrations: 150 EUR
Accompanying person and students 100 EUR
Due to the support of the JMSM a very limited number of reduced fees will be available upon request addressed to the organizers for those participants from Hungary and Romania, who register before the end of February, with at least one paper.
- 80% minus bank charges, if cancelled before April 15th.
- 50% minus bank charges, if cancelled before May 1.
Bank details for the transfer of your registration fee
The registration fees should be transferred to the:
Account holder: Miskolci Ifjúsági Matematikai Egyesület
Account No: 54500112-10016013-00000000
IBAN: HU96 5450 0112 1001 6013 0000 0000
SWIFT code: TAKBHUHB
Bank: Felsőzsolca és Vidéke Takarékszövetkezet, 3561 Felsőzsolca, Kassai út 28.
Remark: HMTM-2014-NAME, SURNAME
When transferring your registration fee, please indicate your Name, SURNAME and add the following Hungarian language remark for identifying your transfer:
„MATEMATIKATÖRTÉNET KONFERENCIA - 2014”
Registration fees for participants from Romania will be transferred directly to the hosting organization.
Please NOTE that your registration becomes valid when your registration fee is received.
The registration fee for participants includes
- guided tour of the city on the pre-conference day,
- get-together party (Wednesday, May 21.),
- conference materials,
- coffee breaks,
- welcome party (Thursday. May 22.),
- conference dinner (Friday, May 23.),
- trip (Saturday, May 24.)
The registration fee for accompanying persons includes
- guided tour of the city on the pre-conference day
- get-together party (Wednesday, May 21.),
- welcome party (Thursday. May 22.)
- conference dinner (Friday, May 23.)
- trip (Saturday, May 24.)
Wednesday, 21 May
Arrivals, registration, guided city tour, get-together party
Thursday, 22 May
Opening - 10 a.m., Lectures 10.30-12, and 14-18 , welcome party
Friday, 23 May
Lectures: 9-12, 14-18, conference dinner
Saturday, 24 May
Lectures: 9-12, Closing Ceremony
Exploring the city
in the evening
Sunday, 25 May
The list of registered participants, list of abstracts, programme details, last minute information
The list of registered participants will appear on the conference site. Please check your data.
Upon acceptance the submitted abstract will be included in the list of abstracts.
Programme details and last minute information will appear in due time on the conference site, and any change will be communicated to you by e-mail.
Participants may book accommodation using the registration form.
When booking please indicate the date of your arrival and departure, and special info: eg. Non-smoking, vegetarian meals etc.
We offer several type accommodation, ranging from the best hotel to pensions and guest houses (see the details when registering on-line):
For registered participants we will book accommodation according to the registration details. Participants will pay their own accommodation on arrival.
If you have other plans please let us know and we will be pleased to assist you in finding accommodation elsewhere.
- Program booklet
- Booklet with the invited lectures
The refereed contributed papers will be published in a conference volume. The authors of accepted contributions are requested to send in 2 copies (an editable Word or tex version, and a pdf format version) before the end of April 2014.
The conference CD is planned to be ready for the meeting.
The conference CD will be available for 20 EUR.
H 3515 POB.10.,
University of Miskolc
phone/fax: 00-36-4656146, or 00-36-20-9826766 or 00-36-70-3326885