Health Care

Health care for grant holders 
If you are a Stipendium Hungaricum / Scholarship for Christian Young People / Hungarian Diaspora scholarship holder student, you are entitled to have 2 kinds of medical insurance:
The University of Miskolc and the staff of the International Relations Office will assist you with getting both kinds of the medical insurance. However the administration of the private medical insurance is quite fast, it still takes some time to have it arranged, therefore you are strongly advised to leave your country with a health insurance for the first period of your stay in Hungary.
Getting the so-called ’TAJ-card’ (social health insurance card) takes a longer time.
Health care for self-financing students
Self-financing students are strongly recommended to have a private medical insurance and the staff of the International Relations Office is ready to help in it. The University of Miskolc has a contract with a specific insurance company (the company itself may vary in every semester). If you prefer to choose some other private medical insurance, you have to go to the chosen health insurance fund and make an agreement individually.
Health care in general
First aid and emergency medical care are free for foreigners, in other cases you may have to pay for the treatment.
EU citizens are insured on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card when they are in another member state and are, from the point of view of social security, entitled to the same rights and have the same obligations as citizens of that given member state. The EU card only covers the 'medically necessary' services (e.g.: dialysis treatment, oxygen therapy), but does not authorize the use of deferred care.
Where to go / what to do if you need to see a doctor?
Only a check-up is needed
Doctor’s Office
Place: Student Hostel E/4, Doctor’s Office
Phone number: 46/565-391, extension number: 14-93
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 07:00 – 11:00, Thursday: 12:00-16:00.
Before visiting the doctor you have to make an appointment by phone.
The TAJ-card is necessary for the doctor to be able to make a medical check-up.
Call the Medical Hotline (the number is written on your private medical insurance card)
If you have a private medical insurance, you can apply for an appointment to a doctor by calling the medical hotline written on your insurance card.
The case is urgent
General emergency service phone number: 112
Ambulance: 104
To call these numbers is free of charge.
If you are in danger and you need immediate medical treatment, you should call the General emergency service (112), where you can speak with an English-speaking operator.
Pharmacies (in Hungarian: gyógyszertár) in Miskolc are well supplied and can provide medicaments for most common ailments.
Address: 3529 Miskolc, Csabai kapu 11.
Phone: +36-46-560-246
Open: Mo-F: 0-24 h.