History of Mathematics & Teaching of Mathematics
Second Announcement and Call for Papers of the Conference on
History of Mathematics and Teaching of Mathematics
Mathematics - a common language for Europe for a thousand years.
2020. May 20-24.
The aim of the conference is to present aspects of the History of Mathematics, including its impact on the Teaching of Mathematics, to provide a forum to meet each other, and to give an opportunity for young researchers to present their results on the history of mathematics. We invite our colleagues, students, graduate students and other researchers to take part in the meeting.
Given the current situation with the coronavirus, both in Hungary and in other countries, we have no option other than to cancel meeting in Miskolc on 20-24 May 2020. We hope, nevertheless, that we can organise a virtual conference and publish Proceedings.
First Announcement and Preliminary Schedule
Pre-conference volume NEW
The virtual meeting is planned to be hosted by the University of Miskolc, and we plan to organize on-line ZOOM sessions, a welcome session to be scheduled on 20th May 2020, and the scientific sessions on 21st, 22nd and 23rd May 2020. Participants will be sent e-mail invitations to join the conference sessions.
- School of Mathematics of the University of St Andrews,
- University of Miskolc,
- Mathematics Education Centre of the Eötvös University Budapest,
- Institute of Mathematics, and Institute of Informatics of the University of Debrecen,
- János Bolyai Mathematical Society, Hungary,
- Junior Mathematical Society Miskolc.
Organizing and Scientific Committee
- Edmund F. Robertson, University of St Andrews (efr(at)st-andrews.ac.uk)
- John O’Connor, University of St Andrews (joc(at)st-andrews.ac.uk)
- Péter Körtesi, Miskolc University (matkp(at)uni-miskolc.hu)
- Katalin Munkácsy, Eötvös University, Budapest (katalin.munkacsy(at)gmail.com)
- Tünde Kántor, University of Debrecen (tkantor(at)science.unideb.hu)
- Lajos Klukovits, Bolyai Institute of the University of Szeged (klukovits(at)math.u-szeged.hu)
- Ágnes Tuska, California State University, Fresno, California (agnest(at)mail.fresnostate.edu)
- Ödön Vancsó, Mathematics Education Centre, Eötvös University, Budapest (vancso.odon(at)gmail.com)
- Dénes Nagy, International Symmetry Society (Melbourne and Budapest) (snagydenes(at)gmail.com)
The programme of the conference is planned to include virtual invited lectures, and contributed presentations, organized in three on-line sessions. We expect each participant to send in her/his presentation and if possible full paper before the deadline given below. Each participant will be given the possibility of presenting his/her contribution as a short (10-15 minutes) virtual presentation, followed by questions and remarks of the other participants.
1. Preliminary conference volume
We plan to organize our virtual program between 20-23 May based on the on-line version of a preliminary conference volume, containing the program, list of abstracts, submitted full papers and an ANNEX. The volume is planned to be ready for the conference, and we ask our participants to send in, if possible their planned presentation in ppt or other presentation forms, other documents, illustrations etc., to be included in the ANNEX of the on-line volume. We plan to base our virtual conference on this on-line version made available for participants in due time. The reason for asking materials for the Annex is that we would like to offer these presentations if case technical bugs will eventually stop some of the participants to join the on-line sessions.
2. Proceedings of the conference
The refereed contributed papers will be published in a post-conference volume, the Proceedings of the conference. The authors of contributions accepted for the conference are requested to submit in 2 copies (an editable Word or .tex version, and a .pdf format version) before the end of August 2020 to the organizers, using the e-mail addresses pkortesi (at) gmail.com or katalin.munkacsy(at)gmail.com
Call for papers
- Authors are invited to submit an abstract to the Organisers via the Easy chair system.
- The abstract must be written in English.
Deadline for submission: May 15th 2020.
Notification of acceptance: May 16th 2020, or within 10 days for early registrations.
Upon the acceptance of the abstract (-s) the authors are invited to submit/upload their full paper as well via the same way, the Easy chair system. You can change and replace several times your paper, the last version should be uploaded by 15th May 2020, closing data for the on-line pre-conference volume. Papers uploaded after this deadline will be published in the on-line version of the post conference volume, to be available on the website of the conference.
Registration: 2 steps
1. Please use our on-line registration form available on the conference web page.
2. Abstracts and full papers are expected to be submitted via the local Easy Chair Conference System page at the event HMTM-2020: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hmtm2020, this will help us the to make up the conference program.
Registration fees are cancelled!
Those participants who already transferred their registration fee we will refund 100% minus bank charges.
Wednesday, May 20th 2020
Welcome session 18:00-20:00 Budapest time (GMT+2 hours)
Thursday, May 21st 2020
First session 18:00-21:00 Budapest time (GMT+2 hours)
Friday, May 22nd 2020
Second session 18:00-21:00 Budapest time (GMT+2 hours)
Saturday, May 23rd 2020
Closing session, conclusions 18:00-21:00 Budapest time (GMT+2 hours)
- Pre-conference volume
Both volumes will contain ISBN number, and will be published by the Miskolc University Publishing House.
H 3515 POB.10.,
University of Miskolc
phone/fax: 00-36-4656146, or 00-36-20-9826766