History of the University

The predecessor of the University of Miskolc was the school of mining and metallurgy (Bergschule) established by Charles III in Selmecbánya in 1735, which was the world’s first higher education institution giving instruction in these fields (in Freiberg, courses were launched in 1765, in Berlin in 1770, and in St Petersburg in 1773). In 1762, Maria Theresia gave the school academy status (Bergakademie). From 1846, foresters were also trained in the institution. Later, the Selmec school served as a model for the establishment of European technical colleges. In 1794, Paris Technical University organised its laboratory trainings on the basis of the Selmec system. The world’s first international technical society, in which 14 countries were represented, was founded with the contribution of Selmec professors in Szklenó, not far from Selmecbánya. Between 1848 and 1850, instruction was suspended because during the Hungarian war of independence, the students enlisted in Kossuth’s army. Following the Austro-Hungarian compromise in 1867, German was replaced by Hungarian as the language of instruction, and the name of the institution was changed to Magyar Királyi Bányászati és Erdészeti Akadémia (’Royal Hungarian Academy of Mining and Forestry’). In 1920, as a result of the Trianon peace treaties, Selmec became part of Czechoslovakia so the academy had to move. It was Sopron that gave home to the homeless institution. Act No. XXIII of 1949 of the Hungarian National Assembly ordered that ’in order to enhance higher education in technology, a university of heavy industry be established in Miskolc. The university shall be divided into the faculties of mining and metallurgical engineering.’ Thus, in 1949, the university consisting of the Faculties of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, moved from Sopron, and of the newly founded Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was established in Miskolc. The first day of instruction was 18 September, 1949.

The demand for a change in the educational system gave rise to the intention to complete technical faculties with ones offering programmes in social sciences. Law courses started in 1981, and an independent Faculty of Law was established in 1983. It was at this time that the objective was formulated that the university should rise to the level of universitas in the classical sense.

The next development step was the launching of a programme in economics, followed by the establishment of the relevant faculty in 1990.

As of 1 July, 1990, the name of the university was changed to University of Miskolc (Hungarian abbreviation: ME).

In 1992, the Institute of Arts was founded. It became a faculty in September 1997.

In 1997, following its separation from the college, the Miskolc department of Liszt Ferenc College of Music was integrated into the university as its Bartók Béla Music Institute.

Having renewed their programmes, the technical faculties continue their activities as Faculties of Earth Science and Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical Engineering and Informatics.

As a result of university integration recommended by the act on higher education, as of 1 January, 2000, Comenius Teacher Training College of Sárospatak became a college-level faculty of the University of Miskolc, and then on 1 July, 2013, it left our university and joined Esterházy Károly College.

The first bachelor programme of the Institute of Healthcare was launched in 2001 to train district nurses, and in September 2004, the instruction of physiotherapists was also started here. In 2005, the institute was given faculty status therefore its present name is Faculty of Healthcare.